Desert Estates Neighborhood Guide in Scottsdale
Welcome to Desert Estates, a beautiful neighborhood located in Scottsdale, Arizona. Situated in the heart of the city, Desert Estates is a great place to call home for families, young professionals, and retirees alike. Here’s a Desert Estates neighborhood guide to help you get to know the area better.
Desert Estates Neighborhood Location
Cross streets that define the neighborhood are Cactus Road to the north, Shea Boulevard to the south, 64th Street to the west, and 72nd Street to the east.
The neighborhood is easily accessible by two major highways:
- Loop 101 (Pima Freeway), which runs to the east of the neighborhood and connects with other major freeways in the Phoenix metropolitan area
- State Route 51 (Piestewa Freeway), which is located to the west of the neighborhood and provides a direct route to downtown Phoenix.
Overall, Desert Estates is situated in a prime location in Scottsdale, with easy access to major highways and other key areas of the city.
Desert Estates Housing Options
Desert Estates is a residential neighborhood in Scottsdale, Arizona, and it offers a range of housing options for prospective residents. The neighborhood primarily features single-family homes with a mix of different architectural styles, including ranch-style, Spanish-style, and contemporary designs.
Some of the common features of homes in the Desert Estates neighborhood include:
- Large lots: Many homes in the area sit on spacious lots, which provide plenty of outdoor living space and privacy.
- Swimming pools: Given the hot climate in Arizona, many homes in Desert Estates have private swimming pools, making them an excellent option for families and individuals who enjoy outdoor recreation.
- Mountain views: The neighborhood is located in close proximity to the McDowell Mountains, and many homes offer stunning views of these natural landmarks.
In addition to single-family homes, Desert Estates also has a number of townhomes and condominiums available for those who prefer a lower-maintenance lifestyle.
Overall, the neighborhood offers a range of housing options to suit different preferences and lifestyles, making it a popular choice among homebuyers in Scottsdale.
Desert Estates Education and School Options
Desert Estates is located within the Scottsdale Unified School District (SUSD), which is known for its high-performing schools and excellent educational opportunities. The district serves students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
While specific schools serving Desert Estates may vary depending on the exact location of the residence, nearby schools in the Scottsdale Unified School District include:
- Anasazi Elementary School
- Sequoya Elementary School
- Redfield Elementary School
- Mountainside Middle School
- Desert Canyon Middle School
- Desert Mountain High School
In addition to the public schools within the Scottsdale Unified School District, there are also numerous private and charter school options in the surrounding areas that families can consider for their children, such as BASIS Scottsdale, a highly-ranked charter school serving grades K-12, and Scottsdale Christian Academy, a private Christian school for preschool through 12th grade.
It’s essential to verify school boundaries and enrollment eligibility with the Scottsdale Unified School District or specific schools, as boundaries may change or be subject to specific enrollment requirements.
Scottsdale Unified School District
The Scottsdale Unified School District is a public school district located in Scottsdale, Arizona. The district serves students from pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade and has over 22,000 students enrolled in its 29 schools. The district is known for its strong academic programs, highly qualified teachers, and commitment to student achievement. The Scottsdale Unified School District is also known for its emphasis on innovation, technology, and STEM education. The district has received numerous accolades for its academic achievements and is recognized as one of the top school districts in Arizona.
Arizona Open Enrollment Explained
However, Arizona’s Open Enrollment system allows parents and guardians to apply for their children to attend public schools outside of their residential boundaries. This provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at Arizona’s Open Enrollment system, how it works, and what families need to know to take advantage of this opportunity.
What is Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment is a program that allows students to attend public schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district. This means that if a student’s home school isn’t the best fit for them, they can apply to attend a different school within the same district or even in a neighboring district.
How does Open Enrollment work? Open Enrollment typically occurs in the early part of the year, usually between January and March. During this time, parents and guardians can submit an application for their child to attend a different school. The application process is relatively straightforward, and applications can be submitted online or in-person at the school district’s office.
Once the application period ends, the school district will review all of the applications and determine which students will be accepted. If the number of applications exceeds the number of available spaces, a lottery system is typically used to determine which students will be admitted.
What are the benefits of Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. This is especially beneficial for families who live in areas where schools are overcrowded or under performing. By allowing students to attend schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district, Open Enrollment gives families the opportunity to choose a school that aligns with their child’s academic, social, and emotional needs.
What do families need to know about Open Enrollment? Families should know that Open Enrollment is not a guarantee of admission. While the program provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school, admission is based on availability. Families should also be aware of the application deadline and ensure that their application is submitted on time. Additionally, families should research potential schools before submitting an application to ensure that the school is a good fit for their child.
In conclusion, Arizona’s Open Enrollment system provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. By allowing students to attend schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district, Open Enrollment gives families the opportunity to choose a school that aligns with their child’s academic, social, and emotional needs. Families should be aware of the application deadline, research potential schools, and understand that admission is based on availability.
Scottsdale Transportation Options
Scottsdale, Arizona, is a beautiful city that offers residents and visitors many transportation options to get around town. There are numerous ways to navigate Scottsdale’s roads and attractions, from public transportation to rideshare services, biking, and more. We will explore some of Scottsdale’s most popular transportation options.
- Public Transportation: Valley Metro is the public transportation system serving the Greater Phoenix Area, including Scottsdale. The system includes buses, light rail, and paratransit services. Scottsdale has several bus routes that connect the city to other parts of the Valley. The Scottsdale Trolley is a free shuttle service that runs seven days a week and offers transportation to popular destinations in Old Town Scottsdale, including the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, Scottsdale Stadium, and Scottsdale Fashion Square.
- Biking: Scottsdale is a bike-friendly city, and there are several options for those who prefer to bike around town. Several bike rental companies offer hourly or daily rentals, including Arizona Outback Adventures, Bicycle Haüs, and Bike Emporium. Several bike share programs are available, such as Lime and Bird, which allow riders to rent a bike through a smartphone app and pay by the minute.
- Walking: Scottsdale’s Old Town is a pedestrian-friendly area with several walkable streets and sidewalks. Walking is an excellent option for those who want to explore the city’s attractions and enjoy the beautiful Arizona weather. Several walking tours are also available, including food and historical tours.
In conclusion, Scottsdale, Arizona, offers many transportation options to suit everyone’s needs. Whether you prefer public transportation, ride a bike, or rent a car, several options are available to explore the city’s attractions and navigate its roads.
Desert Estates Neighborhood Amenities
Desert Estates is a residential neighborhood in Scottsdale, Arizona, known for its spacious properties and serene desert setting. While the neighborhood itself may not have many on-site amenities, it benefits from its proximity to various amenities in the surrounding area. Some of these amenities include:
- Parks and Natural Areas: Desert Estates is located near several parks and natural areas, such as the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, which offers miles of hiking, biking, and equestrian trails, and Cactus Park, a family-friendly park with sports fields, picnic areas, and a playground.
- Golf Courses: The neighborhood is close to several top-rated golf courses, including Ancala Country Club, Stonegate Golf Club, and Orange Tree Golf Club, where golf enthusiasts can enjoy well-maintained greens and stunning desert vistas.
- Shopping and Dining: Desert Estates is a short drive from various shopping centers and dining options, such as Kierland Commons, Scottsdale Quarter, and The Promenade, which feature a mix of upscale shops, casual eateries, and fine dining establishments.
- Fitness Centers: There are several fitness centers and gyms in the vicinity, offering a range of fitness programs and classes to cater to residents’ diverse health and wellness needs.
- Healthcare Facilities: The neighborhood is conveniently located near medical facilities like HonorHealth Scottsdale Shea Medical Center and Mayo Clinic, providing easy access to healthcare services for residents.
While Desert Estates may not have extensive on-site amenities, the neighborhood’s location in Scottsdale allows residents to enjoy the area’s beautiful weather, outdoor recreational activities, and convenient access to shopping, dining, and other attractions throughout the city and the Greater Phoenix area.
Recreational Activities Nearby Desert Estates
Desert Estates is located in Scottsdale, Arizona, and offers residents various outdoor recreational activities nearby. Some popular options include:
- McDowell Sonoran Preserve: A vast, 30,000-acre preserve that provides a network of hiking, mountain biking, and equestrian trails, showcasing the unique beauty of the Sonoran Desert. Trailheads such as Lost Dog Wash, Gateway, and Tom’s Thumb are easily accessible from Desert Estates.
- Cactus Park: A family-friendly park featuring a playground, sports fields, picnic areas, and a skate park, providing a variety of outdoor activities for all ages.
- Golf Courses: Desert Estates is located near several top-rated golf courses, including Ancala Country Club, Stonegate Golf Club, and Orange Tree Golf Club. Golf enthusiasts can enjoy well-maintained greens and stunning desert vistas at these courses.
- Pinnacle Peak Park: A popular hiking destination, Pinnacle Peak Park features a well-maintained trail that winds through the beautiful desert landscape, offering picturesque views and opportunities for wildlife spotting.
- Camelback Mountain: Located a short drive away, Camelback Mountain is a popular hiking destination that offers two challenging trails, Echo Canyon and Cholla, leading to the summit and providing stunning views of the surrounding valley.
- McDowell Mountain Ranch Park and Aquatic Center: This expansive park features an aquatic center with a large pool, water slides, a lazy river, and a splash pad. The park also offers sports fields, playgrounds, picnic areas, and walking paths.
- Scottsdale Sports Complex: A nearby sports facility offering multi-use fields, a playground, and walking paths, suitable for soccer, lacrosse, and other outdoor sports.
These are just a few examples of the outdoor recreational activities available near Desert Estates. The neighborhood’s convenient location in Scottsdale allows residents to enjoy the beautiful weather and the diverse range of outdoor experiences that the area has to offer.
Shopping and Dining Near Desert Estates
Desert Estates is conveniently located near a variety of shopping and dining options in Scottsdale, Arizona. Some popular shopping centers and dining establishments near the neighborhood include:
- Scottsdale Quarter: A premier outdoor shopping and dining destination located at the intersection of N Scottsdale Rd and E Greenway Pkwy. The center features an array of upscale shops, restaurants, and entertainment options, including Apple, H&M, and True Food Kitchen.
- Kierland Commons: Located near Scottsdale Quarter, Kierland Commons is a mixed-use development featuring high-end retail stores, fine dining, and entertainment options. Stores include Michael Kors, Anthropologie, and Lululemon, while dining options range from North Italia and The Greene House to The Cheesecake Factory and Postino WineCafe.
- The Promenade: Situated at the intersection of N Scottsdale Rd and E Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd, The Promenade offers a variety of stores, services, and dining options, including Nordstrom Rack, Trader Joe’s, and Maggiano’s Little Italy.
- Scottsdale 101 Shopping Center: Located near the intersection of N Scottsdale Rd and Mayo Blvd, this shopping center features retail stores, restaurants, and entertainment options such as Target, In-N-Out Burger, and Harkins Theatres.
- Paradise Valley Mall: A short drive away at the intersection of E Cactus Rd and N Tatum Blvd, Paradise Valley Mall offers various shops, restaurants, and services, including Macy’s, Dillard’s, and JCPenney.
In addition to these shopping centers, Desert Estates residents can enjoy a wide selection of nearby dining options, ranging from casual eateries and cafes to fine dining establishments. The neighborhood’s convenient location provides residents with easy access to many more establishments throughout Scottsdale and the Greater Phoenix area.
Scottsdale Realtor Lydia Chelle Can Help You!
Overall, Desert Estates is a wonderful place to live, offering a combination of luxury, beauty, and convenience. Whether you’re looking for a peaceful retreat from the city or a vibrant community that offers plenty of activities and events, Desert Estates has something for everyone.
If you’re ready to start your search for the perfect home in Scottsdale, Arizona, I invite you to explore my website and learn more about the services I offer as a Realtor in Scottsdale AZ. From personalized home tours to expert negotiation and representation, I am here to help you every step of the way. Contact me today to schedule a consultation and let’s get started on your journey to finding your dream home in Scottsdale.