North Scottsdale Neighborhood Guide
Welcome to North Scottsdale, a vibrant and luxurious community located in the heart of Scottsdale, Arizona. Here is a North Scottsdale neighborhood guide to help you get to know this beautiful area better.
North Scottsdale Neighborhood Location
North Scottsdale is an upscale neighborhood located in the northern part of Scottsdale, Arizona. It stretches roughly from E. Shea Blvd. in the south to N. Pima Road in the north, and from the 101 Loop (Pima Freeway) in the west to N. 128th Street in the east.
Cross streets that define the area include:
- East-West: E. Shea Blvd., E. Cactus Rd., E. Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd., E. Bell Rd., and E. Happy Valley Rd.
- North-South: N. Scottsdale Rd., N. Hayden Rd., N. Pima Rd., and N. 128th St.
Nearby highways include:
- Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) – This major freeway runs along the western edge of North Scottsdale and provides easy access to downtown Scottsdale, Phoenix, and other parts of the Valley.
- State Route 51 (Piestewa Freeway) – Located further to the west, this freeway connects North Scottsdale to Central Phoenix and other areas in the Valley.
- State Route 87 (Beeline Highway) – A major north-south road running along the eastern edge of Scottsdale, it provides access to the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation and other destinations to the east and northeast.
North Scottsdale Housing Options
North Scottsdale offers a variety of housing options to cater to different preferences and budgets. Some of the housing options available in this upscale neighborhood include:
- Single-family homes: Ranging from modest ranch-style houses to large luxury estates, these homes often come with spacious lots, private pools, and landscaped yards. Many are located within gated communities or master-planned subdivisions, providing a sense of security and exclusivity.
- Condominiums and townhomes: For those looking for a low-maintenance lifestyle, there are numerous condominium and townhome developments in North Scottsdale. These properties often come with shared amenities such as community pools, fitness centers, and clubhouses.
- Apartments: North Scottsdale has a selection of luxury apartment communities offering high-end amenities like resort-style pools, fitness centers, and pet-friendly spaces. These rental properties cater to those seeking upscale living without the long-term commitment of homeownership.
- Golf course communities: Home to several renowned golf courses, North Scottsdale has a number of golf course communities offering beautiful homes with views of lush greens and fairways. These communities often provide additional amenities like clubhouses, dining options, and recreational facilities.
- Active adult/retirement communities: Catering to residents aged 55 and over, these communities offer a variety of housing options, including single-family homes, townhomes, and condominiums. They typically feature a range of amenities and activities designed to promote an active and social lifestyle.
- Custom-built homes: In certain areas of North Scottsdale, you can find custom-built homes tailored to the specific needs and preferences of the homeowners. These properties can be found in exclusive neighborhoods or on larger lots, offering a high degree of privacy and individuality.
When considering housing options in North Scottsdale, it’s essential to take into account factors such as budget, desired property size, location, and proximity to amenities like schools, shopping centers, and recreational facilities.
North Scottsdale Education and School Options
North Scottsdale is primarily served by two school districts: the Scottsdale Unified School District (SUSD) and the Paradise Valley Unified School District (PVUSD). Both districts are known for their high-quality education, with many schools receiving top ratings and accolades.
Scottsdale Unified School District (SUSD): The SUSD serves a large portion of North Scottsdale, with a variety of schooling options available, including elementary, middle, and high schools. Some notable schools in the district include:
- Copper Ridge School (K-8)
- Desert Canyon Elementary School (K-5)
- Desert Canyon Middle School (6-8)
- Anasazi Elementary School (K-5)
- Mountainside Middle School (6-8)
- Chaparral High School (9-12)
- Desert Mountain High School (9-12)
Paradise Valley Unified School District (PVUSD): The PVUSD serves the northernmost parts of North Scottsdale. This district offers several schooling options as well, including elementary, middle, and high schools. Some notable schools in the district include:
- Grayhawk Elementary School (K-6)
- Pinnacle Peak Preparatory School (K-6)
- Explorer Middle School (7-8)
- Pinnacle High School (9-12)
Charter Schools: In addition to public schools, North Scottsdale is home to several charter schools that offer alternative educational options. Some of these schools are:
- BASIS Scottsdale (K-12) – A top-ranked charter school emphasizing a rigorous curriculum with a focus on STEM subjects.
- Great Hearts Academies (K-12) – A network of charter schools providing a classical liberal arts education with an emphasis on character development and critical thinking skills.
Private Schools: Families seeking private schooling options can also find several private schools in the North Scottsdale area, including faith-based and secular institutions. Some notable private schools include:
- Notre Dame Preparatory High School (9-12) – A Catholic college-preparatory high school.
- El Dorado Private School (PK-8) – A nonsectarian private school emphasizing a well-rounded curriculum with a focus on academics, arts, and physical education.
- Scottsdale Christian Academy (PK-12) – A private Christian school offering a comprehensive curriculum and extracurricular activities.
When considering schooling options in North Scottsdale, it’s essential to research individual schools and their offerings, as well as visit the schools and meet with administrators to determine the best fit for your child’s needs and interests.
Arizona Open Enrollment Explained
However, Arizona’s Open Enrollment system allows parents and guardians to apply for their children to attend public schools outside of their residential boundaries. This provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at Arizona’s Open Enrollment system, how it works, and what families need to know to take advantage of this opportunity.
What is Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment is a program that allows students to attend public schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district. This means that if a student’s home school isn’t the best fit for them, they can apply to attend a different school within the same district or even in a neighboring district.
How does Open Enrollment work? Open Enrollment typically occurs in the early part of the year, usually between January and March. During this time, parents and guardians can submit an application for their child to attend a different school. The application process is relatively straightforward, and applications can be submitted online or in-person at the school district’s office.
Once the application period ends, the school district will review all of the applications and determine which students will be accepted. If the number of applications exceeds the number of available spaces, a lottery system is typically used to determine which students will be admitted.
What are the benefits of Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. This is especially beneficial for families who live in areas where schools are overcrowded or under performing. By allowing students to attend schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district, Open Enrollment gives families the opportunity to choose a school that aligns with their child’s academic, social, and emotional needs.
What do families need to know about Open Enrollment? Families should know that Open Enrollment is not a guarantee of admission. While the program provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school, admission is based on availability. Families should also be aware of the application deadline and ensure that their application is submitted on time. Additionally, families should research potential schools before submitting an application to ensure that the school is a good fit for their child.
In conclusion, Arizona’s Open Enrollment system provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. By allowing students to attend schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district, Open Enrollment gives families the opportunity to choose a school that aligns with their child’s academic, social, and emotional needs. Families should be aware of the application deadline, research potential schools, and understand that admission is based on availability.
Scottsdale Transportation Options
Scottsdale, Arizona, is a beautiful city that offers residents and visitors many transportation options to get around town. There are numerous ways to navigate Scottsdale’s roads and attractions, from public transportation to rideshare services, biking, and more. We will explore some of Scottsdale’s most popular transportation options.
- Public Transportation: Valley Metro is the public transportation system serving the Greater Phoenix Area, including Scottsdale. The system includes buses, light rail, and paratransit services. Scottsdale has several bus routes that connect the city to other parts of the Valley. The Scottsdale Trolley is a free shuttle service that runs seven days a week and offers transportation to popular destinations in Old Town Scottsdale, including the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, Scottsdale Stadium, and Scottsdale Fashion Square.
- Biking: Scottsdale is a bike-friendly city, and there are several options for those who prefer to bike around town. Several bike rental companies offer hourly or daily rentals, including Arizona Outback Adventures, Bicycle Haüs, and Bike Emporium. Several bike share programs are available, such as Lime and Bird, which allow riders to rent a bike through a smartphone app and pay by the minute.
- Walking: Scottsdale’s Old Town is a pedestrian-friendly area with several walkable streets and sidewalks. Walking is an excellent option for those who want to explore the city’s attractions and enjoy the beautiful Arizona weather. Several walking tours are also available, including food and historical tours.
In conclusion, Scottsdale, Arizona, offers many transportation options to suit everyone’s needs. Whether you prefer public transportation, ride a bike, or rent a car, several options are available to explore the city’s attractions and navigate its roads.
Recreational Activities Nearby North Scottsdale
North Scottsdale offers a wide variety of recreational activities, both indoor and outdoor, to cater to different interests and preferences. Here are some popular options:
- Hiking: McDowell Sonoran Preserve, Pinnacle Peak Park, and Tom’s Thumb Trailhead provide miles of scenic hiking trails suitable for various skill levels. Enjoy the beautiful desert landscape, unique flora and fauna, and stunning views.
- Golfing: North Scottsdale is renowned for its world-class golf courses such as TPC Scottsdale, Troon North Golf Club, and Grayhawk Golf Club. These courses offer fantastic playing experiences for golf enthusiasts of all skill levels.
- Horseback Riding: Explore the beautiful Sonoran Desert on horseback with guided trail rides from local stables like Cave Creek Outfitters and Macdonald’s Ranch.
- Cycling: The area offers several dedicated bike lanes and multi-use paths, such as the Scottsdale Greenbelt, for cyclists to enjoy a safe and scenic ride.
- Hot Air Ballooning: Experience breathtaking views of the Sonoran Desert and surrounding areas with a hot air balloon ride from companies like Rainbow Ryders or Hot Air Expeditions.
- OdySea Aquarium: Located nearby in the Talking Stick Entertainment District, OdySea Aquarium is a state-of-the-art facility housing thousands of aquatic species in immersive exhibits.
- iFLY Indoor Skydiving: Experience the thrill of skydiving without jumping from a plane at iFLY, an indoor wind tunnel facility offering a unique, adrenaline-pumping experience.
- Butterfly Wonderland: This indoor rainforest habitat is home to thousands of butterflies from around the world, making it a fantastic family-friendly attraction.
- Art Galleries and Museums: North Scottsdale and the surrounding areas are known for their vibrant arts scene. Visit the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West, or the numerous art galleries that showcase local and international artists.
- Indoor Rock Climbing: Test your climbing skills at indoor facilities like AZ on the Rocks, which offers climbing walls and bouldering areas for various skill levels.
- Escape Rooms: Challenge your problem-solving skills and teamwork at an escape room, such as Scottsdale Escape Rooms or Escape the Room AZ.
These are just a few of the many recreational activities available in and around North Scottsdale. With its mix of outdoor adventures and indoor entertainment, there is something to suit everyone’s taste.
Shopping and Dining Near North Scottsdale
North Scottsdale offers a variety of unique dining and shopping options that cater to various tastes and preferences. Here are some local, non-chain restaurants and shopping destinations you can explore in the area:
- The Herb Box: Located in the DC Ranch Market Street, The Herb Box offers a creative and fresh menu focused on seasonal, locally-sourced ingredients with dishes inspired by various global cuisines.
- Sel Restaurant: A contemporary fine-dining establishment in North Scottsdale, Sel Restaurant offers a seasonally inspired, four-course prix fixe menu that changes regularly, providing an exquisite culinary experience.
- Spiga Cucina Italiana: This Italian restaurant offers a cozy atmosphere and a menu featuring traditional Italian dishes with a modern twist, using fresh, quality ingredients.
- Sassi: Sassi offers a Southern Italian-inspired dining experience in a beautiful villa setting. The menu features authentic Italian dishes made from scratch, accompanied by an extensive wine list.
- Persian Room: This family-owned restaurant specializes in traditional Persian cuisine, offering a diverse menu of flavorful dishes with generous portions, including various kabobs, stews, and rice dishes.
- Kierland Commons: This open-air shopping center features a unique blend of upscale boutiques, trendy shops, and local retailers. Some local businesses include The Poisoned Pen, a local independent bookstore, and The French Bee, a home decor and accessories store.
- Scottsdale Quarter: This outdoor shopping center offers a mix of national retailers and local shops, such as Sorso Wine Room, a locally-owned wine bar and lounge that also offers small plates and charcuterie boards.
- The Shops at Gainey Village: This upscale shopping center features a variety of local shops and boutiques, including Diva Women’s Wear, a locally-owned women’s clothing store, and Ritzy Rags and Shoes, offering designer apparel and accessories.
- DC Ranch Market Street: This shopping destination in North Scottsdale is home to several unique, locally-owned shops and restaurants, including Bungalow Furniture & Accessories, a home decor store offering stylish furnishings and accessories.
- The Promenade: While this shopping center also includes national retailers, you can find unique local spots like The Coffee Bean, a locally-owned coffee shop serving specialty coffee drinks and pastries.
These are just a few examples of the local dining and shopping options available in North Scottsdale. The area offers a wide variety of unique establishments, allowing you to enjoy a diverse and memorable experience.
North Scottsdale Neighborhood Amenities
North Scottsdale is known for its upscale lifestyle, beautiful surroundings, and numerous amenities that cater to residents’ needs and interests. Some of the neighborhood amenities in North Scottsdale include:
- Parks and Recreation: North Scottsdale is home to several parks, such as WestWorld Park, Thompson Peak Park, and George “Doc” Cavalliere Park, offering playgrounds, sports fields, picnic areas, and walking trails. The McDowell Sonoran Preserve provides miles of hiking and biking trails through the beautiful Sonoran Desert.
- Golf Courses: The area is renowned for its numerous world-class golf courses, including Troon North Golf Club, TPC Scottsdale, Grayhawk Golf Club, and Kierland Golf Club, offering residents access to exceptional golfing experiences.
- Community Centers: North Scottsdale residents can enjoy access to community centers such as the Scottsdale Horizon Community Center and the Cactus Aquatic & Fitness Center, offering fitness classes, sports leagues, swimming pools, and various recreational programs.
- Shopping and Dining: Upscale shopping destinations like Kierland Commons, Scottsdale Quarter, and The Promenade offer a mix of local and national retailers, as well as diverse dining options, from casual eateries to fine dining establishments.
- Health and Wellness: North Scottsdale boasts numerous fitness centers, spas, and wellness facilities, including Village Health Club & Spa, Life Time Fitness, and Mountainside Fitness, catering to residents seeking an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Art and Culture: The area is known for its vibrant arts scene, with numerous art galleries, studios, and events like the Celebration of Fine Art and the Scottsdale ArtWalk, showcasing local and international artists.
- Medical Facilities: High-quality healthcare services are available at nearby medical centers such as HonorHealth Scottsdale Thompson Peak Medical Center and Mayo Clinic’s Scottsdale campus.
- Schools: North Scottsdale is served by highly-rated schools within the Scottsdale Unified School District and Paradise Valley Unified School District, as well as several charter and private schools.
- Transportation: The neighborhood offers easy access to major highways like Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) and State Route 51 (Piestewa Freeway), facilitating convenient travel within the Phoenix metropolitan area. Additionally, Scottsdale Airport provides business aviation services and private jet charters.
These amenities, along with the beautiful landscape and a strong sense of community, contribute to the overall appeal and high quality of life in North Scottsdale.
Scottsdale Realtor Lydia Chelle Can Help You!
Overall, North Scottsdale is a luxurious and upscale community that offers its residents an exceptional quality of life. With its beautiful natural surroundings, world-class amenities, and convenient location, it is a great place to call home in Scottsdale, Arizona.
If you’re ready to start your search for the perfect home in Scottsdale, Arizona, I invite you to explore my website and learn more about the services I offer with Chelle Real Estate. From personalized home tours to expert negotiation and representation, I am here to help you every step of the way. Contact me today to schedule a consultation and let’s get started on your journey to finding your dream home in Scottsdale.