Powderhorn Ranch Neighborhood Guide in Scottsdale
Welcome to Powderhorn Ranch, a peaceful and secluded community located in North Scottsdale, Arizona. Here’s a Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood guide to help you get to know the area better.
Powderhorn Ranch Neighborhood Location
The Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood in Scottsdale, Arizona is located in the northern part of the city, near the McDowell Mountains.
Here are the cross streets that mark the general area of the Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood:
North-South: E. Jomax Road to E. Happy Valley Road East-West: N. 128th Street to N. 136th Street
The Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood is located near several highways and major roads, including:
- Pima Freeway (Loop 101): A major highway that runs along the eastern edge of the Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood, providing access to other parts of the Valley, including downtown Phoenix and the East Valley.
- Scottsdale Road: A major north-south road that runs through the heart of Scottsdale, providing easy access to shopping, dining, and entertainment destinations.
- Carefree Highway: A major east-west road located just north of the Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood, connecting it to the communities of Cave Creek and Carefree to the west.
The exact location and boundaries of the Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood may vary depending on the source, but generally, it is located in the area surrounding Jomax Road and 128th Street, between Happy Valley Road and 136th Street.
Powderhorn Ranch Housing Options
The Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood in Scottsdale, Arizona offers a variety of housing options, including single-family homes and townhouses.
Homes in Powderhorn Ranch were mostly built in the 1990s and early 2000s, and many have been updated or renovated in recent years. Some homes in the area feature views of the McDowell Mountains or the nearby golf courses, while others are located on larger lots.
The prices of homes in Powderhorn Ranch vary depending on size, condition, and location. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the median home value in the area was around $800,000, with prices ranging from around $500,000 to over $1.5 million.
In addition to traditional single-family homes, there are also a few townhouse communities in the area, offering additional options for those who prefer a lower-maintenance lifestyle.
Potential homebuyers or renters can contact a local real estate agent or browse online real estate listings to find available properties in Powderhorn Ranch.
Powderhorn Ranch Education and School Options
The Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood in Scottsdale, Arizona is served by several public and private schools, including:
- Desert Sun Academy: A public elementary school in the Cave Creek Unified School District, serving students in kindergarten through sixth grade.
- Sonoran Trails Middle School: A public middle school in the Cave Creek Unified School District, serving students in seventh and eighth grade.
- Cactus Shadows High School: A public high school in the Cave Creek Unified School District, serving students in ninth through twelfth grade.
- Basis Scottsdale: A charter school serving students in fifth through twelfth grade.
- Our Lady of Joy Catholic School: A private Catholic school serving students in preschool through eighth grade.
The Cave Creek Unified School District is responsible for providing public education to the Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood. The district operates several highly-rated schools in the area, including Desert Sun Academy, Sonoran Trails Middle School, and Cactus Shadows High School. Parents or guardians can visit the district’s website for more information on enrollment, school boundary maps, and academic programs.
Arizona Open Enrollment Explained
However, Arizona’s Open Enrollment system allows parents and guardians to apply for their children to attend public schools outside of their residential boundaries. This provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at Arizona’s Open Enrollment system, how it works, and what families need to know to take advantage of this opportunity.
What is Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment is a program that allows students to attend public schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district. This means that if a student’s home school isn’t the best fit for them, they can apply to attend a different school within the same district or even in a neighboring district.
How does Open Enrollment work? Open Enrollment typically occurs in the early part of the year, usually between January and March. During this time, parents and guardians can submit an application for their child to attend a different school. The application process is relatively straightforward, and applications can be submitted online or in-person at the school district’s office.
Once the application period ends, the school district will review all of the applications and determine which students will be accepted. If the number of applications exceeds the number of available spaces, a lottery system is typically used to determine which students will be admitted.
What are the benefits of Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. This is especially beneficial for families who live in areas where schools are overcrowded or under performing. By allowing students to attend schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district, Open Enrollment gives families the opportunity to choose a school that aligns with their child’s academic, social, and emotional needs.
What do families need to know about Open Enrollment? Families should know that Open Enrollment is not a guarantee of admission. While the program provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school, admission is based on availability. Families should also be aware of the application deadline and ensure that their application is submitted on time. Additionally, families should research potential schools before submitting an application to ensure that the school is a good fit for their child.
In conclusion, Arizona’s Open Enrollment system provides families with more options when it comes to selecting a school that best meets their child’s needs. By allowing students to attend schools outside of their designated attendance area or school district, Open Enrollment gives families the opportunity to choose a school that aligns with their child’s academic, social, and emotional needs. Families should be aware of the application deadline, research potential schools, and understand that admission is based on availability.
Scottsdale Transportation Options
Scottsdale, Arizona, is a beautiful city that offers residents and visitors many transportation options to get around town. There are numerous ways to navigate Scottsdale’s roads and attractions, from public transportation to rideshare services, biking, and more. We will explore some of Scottsdale’s most popular transportation options.
- Public Transportation: Valley Metro is the public transportation system serving the Greater Phoenix Area, including Scottsdale. The system includes buses, light rail, and paratransit services. Scottsdale has several bus routes that connect the city to other parts of the Valley. The Scottsdale Trolley is a free shuttle service that runs seven days a week and offers transportation to popular destinations in Old Town Scottsdale, including the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, Scottsdale Stadium, and Scottsdale Fashion Square.
- Biking: Scottsdale is a bike-friendly city, and there are several options for those who prefer to bike around town. Several bike rental companies offer hourly or daily rentals, including Arizona Outback Adventures, Bicycle Haüs, and Bike Emporium. Several bike share programs are available, such as Lime and Bird, which allow riders to rent a bike through a smartphone app and pay by the minute.
- Walking: Scottsdale’s Old Town is a pedestrian-friendly area with several walkable streets and sidewalks. Walking is an excellent option for those who want to explore the city’s attractions and enjoy the beautiful Arizona weather. Several walking tours are also available, including food and historical tours.
In conclusion, Scottsdale, Arizona, offers many transportation options to suit everyone’s needs. Whether you prefer public transportation, ride a bike, or rent a car, several options are available to explore the city’s attractions and navigate its roads.
Recreational Activities Nearby Powderhorn Ranch
There are plenty of fun and unique recreational activities for both indoor and outdoor enthusiasts near the Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood in Scottsdale, Arizona. Here are a few ideas:
- McDowell Sonoran Preserve: This 30,000-acre preserve offers miles of hiking and biking trails, horseback riding, and wildlife viewing, and is located just a few minutes away from Powderhorn Ranch.
- Pinnacle Peak Park: A popular hiking destination with a challenging trail that leads to the summit of Pinnacle Peak, offering beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and desert.
- Troon North Golf Club: A renowned golf course featuring two 18-hole courses, including the Monument Course and the Pinnacle Course, both with stunning views of the desert landscape.
- Musical Instrument Museum: A unique museum in Phoenix that houses over 6,500 instruments from around the world, including instruments played by famous musicians.
- OdySea Aquarium: Located in nearby Scottsdale, this indoor aquarium is home to thousands of marine animals and offers interactive exhibits and experiences.
- Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art: A modern art museum featuring rotating exhibitions and events, located in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale.
- Arizona Science Center: Located in downtown Phoenix, this science museum features hands-on exhibits, a planetarium, and a 3D theater.
These are just a few of the many recreational activities available near Powderhorn Ranch. Whether you enjoy outdoor adventures or indoor cultural experiences, there is something for everyone in this area.
Shopping and Dining Near Powderhorn Ranch
There are several unique and local shopping and dining options near the Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood in Scottsdale, Arizona. Here are a few ideas for both shopping and dining:
- The Summit at Scottsdale: A shopping center located near Powderhorn Ranch featuring a mix of local and national retailers, including an AJ’s Fine Foods grocery store and several boutique shops.
- Kierland Commons: A shopping center located in nearby Scottsdale featuring upscale retailers, restaurants, and a weekly farmers market.
- Scottsdale Quarter: A shopping and dining destination located in North Scottsdale, offering a mix of local and national retailers, as well as several unique dining options.
- Local Bistro: A neighborhood bistro offering a Mediterranean-inspired menu featuring locally sourced ingredients and an extensive wine list.
- Tomaso’s Italian Restaurant: A family-owned restaurant serving authentic Italian cuisine made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients.
- Talavera: A high-end restaurant located at the Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale, offering stunning views of the desert landscape and a menu featuring contemporary American cuisine with a Southwestern twist.
- The Herb Box: A locally-owned restaurant serving healthy and flavorful cuisine made with organic and locally sourced ingredients.
These are just a few of the many unique and local shopping and dining options near Powderhorn Ranch. There are plenty of other options to explore, including various ethnic restaurants, local cafes, and specialty shops.
Powderhorn Ranch Neighborhood Amenities
The Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood in Scottsdale, Arizona offers a variety of neighborhood amenities for residents to enjoy. Here are a few of the amenities:
- Parks and Trails: The nearby McDowell Sonoran Preserve offers over 200 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding, and is located just minutes away from Powderhorn Ranch.
- Golf Courses: The area features several golf courses, including the Troon North Golf Club, Grayhawk Golf Club, and TPC Scottsdale, which hosts the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
- Shopping and Dining: The neighborhood is located near several shopping and dining destinations, including the Summit at Scottsdale, Kierland Commons, and Scottsdale Quarter, which offer a mix of local and national retailers, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Schools: The neighborhood is served by several highly-rated public and private schools, including Desert Sun Academy, Sonoran Trails Middle School, Cactus Shadows High School, Basis Scottsdale, and Our Lady of Joy Catholic School.
- Healthcare: The HonorHealth Thompson Peak Medical Center is located nearby, offering a range of medical services, including emergency care, surgery, and specialty care.
- Community Centers: The nearby Desert Foothills YMCA offers a variety of programs and classes for all ages, including sports, fitness, and aquatics programs.
- Luxury Resorts: The Powderhorn Ranch neighborhood is located near several luxury resorts, including the Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale, the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, and the Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, which offer a variety of amenities, including golf courses, spas, and dining options.
These are just a few of the many neighborhood amenities available to residents of Powderhorn Ranch.
Scottsdale Realtor Lydia Chelle Can Help You!
Overall, Powderhorn Ranch is a beautiful and highly sought-after community that offers a luxurious and tranquil lifestyle in the heart of North Scottsdale. Whether you’re looking for a single-family home or a luxury estate, Powderhorn Ranch has something to offer for everyone.
If you’re ready to start your search for the perfect home in Scottsdale, Arizona, I invite you to explore my website and learn more about the services I offer as a Realtor in Scottsdale AZ. From personalized home tours to expert negotiation and representation, I am here to help you every step of the way. Contact me today to schedule a consultation and let’s get started on your journey to finding your dream home in Scottsdale.